Onondaga Yacht Club
Founded 1885 Incorporated 1886
ONONDAGA YACHT CLUB HISTORY
Celebrating 120 Years of Boating and Friendship
The Onondaga Yacht Club was founded in 1883 and chartered
In 1934 a group of people interested in promoting boating activities on the
lake organized, in
In July 1934 the first home of this reactivated organization was in the Griffin Field House, in space rented from the Onondaga County Planning Board. During 1934 the club Burgee was designed.
In making application for Incorporation it was found that an Onondaga Yacht
Club already existed. A meeting was held
In 1937 the marina was completed and put into operation by the Onondaga County Planning Board. OYC rented the "C" section of the marina from the County for use by its members.
In 1937-38 a lease agreement was made with the County for the present
clubhouse site. Construction of the first unit was started in the Spring of 1938; it was formally opened
The last several years have seen significant refurbishment activities, including a kitchen ceiling with new lighting, replacement of the roadside porch roof and ornamentation, painting of the locker room and installation of storage racks for sailboat masts, trophy cases and general painting. In 2002 a new commercial stove with hood and fire suppression system was installed.
OYC is a friendly community of boaters with a wide variety of activities for its members.